Complying with Laws, Regulations and Social Trends
Green procurement policy
Procuring environmentally friendly parts and materials from suppliers who promote environmental conservation activities
At the Brother Group which operates its business globally, safety and environmental impacts are prime considerations at every stage of a product's life cycle, from design, development, manufacturing, customer usage, and disposal, to reuse and recycling, as set out in its basic environmental policy of the Brother Group Environmental Policy. Under the "Brother Group Global Charter ", the Brother Group began implementing green procurement activities from February 2001 in which we prioritize procuring environmentally friendly parts and materials for all products that we sell.
In April 2002, the Brother Group issued the Brother Group Green Procurement Standards (Ver. 1.0) which includes the Brother Group Environmental Policy and specific requests to suppliers, and describes the flow of operations for the control of certain chemical substances to promote the manufacture of environmentally conscious products with suppliers. All suppliers are required to deliver parts and materials in accordance with the Brother Group Green Procurement Standards. Also, the Brother Group conducts audits on suppliers every three years to check their management systems and operations comply with laws and regulations. Suppliers are required to make any necessary improvements and guarantee that the goods that they supply meet the standards.
Policy of green procurement activities
1) Buy products from suppliers who promote environmental conservation activities
2) Buy goods (parts, materials, sub-materials, and products) that do not contain hazardous chemical substances specified by the Brother Group
The Green Procurement Standards apply to the Brother Group's procurement activities for all goods including:
- Parts, materials and sub-materials used for products designed, manufactured, and sold by the Brother Group;
- Parts, materials and sub-materials used for products designed and manufactured by the Brother Group for a third party;
- Products designed and manufactured by a third party for the Brother Group and sold under the Brother Group's trade mark;
- Products for sale that incorporate product(s) purchased from another company (or companies);
- Products purchased from another company to be sold "in their original state";
- Promotional goods.
Brother Group Green Procurement Standards
Quick compliance with environmental laws and regulations in various countries
The Brother Group Green Procurement Standards have been updated to comply with various countries' environmental laws and regulations which are constantly being extended in scope. The standards are released in Japanese, English, Chinese (simplified and traditional), and Vietnamese.
Based on the Brother Group Green Procurement Standards, the Brother Group restricts the inclusion of certain chemical substances in all goods which are supplied to the Brother Group. Specifically, substances/substance groups the use of which is restricted globally in accordance with laws and regulations, etc. are specified as "RoHS" and "Prohibited substances excluding RoHS," and are designated as "prohibited chemical substances (Level A)." Meanwhile, chemical substances/substance groups included in the Candidate List of "Substances of Very High Concern" (SVHC) according to EU REACH regulation (REGULATION (EC) No 1907/2006) are classified as "SVHC," while some chemical substances/substance groups published in the "Joint Industry Guide " (JIG-101) are categorized as "Controlled substances excluding SVHC." "SVHC" and "Controlled substances excluding SVHC" are designated as "controlled chemical substances (Level B)." When "controlled chemical substances (Level B)" are intentionally included, suppliers are required to identify and report the content (density) because these substances will be subject to restrictions in the future. To help build a sustainable society, suppliers are encouraged to actively work on the conservation of biological diversity and formulate plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Brother Group Green Procurement Standards
- Green Procurement Standards Japanese (version 8.1) [PDF/582KB]
- Green Procurement Standards English (version 8.1) [PDF/577KB]
- Green Procurement Standards Chinese-simp (version 8.1) [PDF/845KB]
- Green Procurement Standards Chinese-trad (version 8.1) [PDF/850KB]
- Green Procurement Standards Vietnamese (version 8.1) [PDF/778KB]
In FY2011 (April 1, 2011-March 31, 2012), the Brother Group expanded the scope of CSR procurement to cover human rights, labor, health and safety, fair trade and ethics, quality and safety, information security, contribution to society, etc.
- Compliance with the RoHS Directive in different countries
- Compliance with the REACH Regulation
- Promoting CSR Procurement
Brother Group Green Procurement Management System
The Brother Group strictly controls chemical substances in products through a green procurement management system.
The Brother Group requests all suppliers to cooperate in investigations into the content of chemical substances in products and pass the audits of their management systems for chemical substances in products.
Flow of operations for the control of chemical substances in products at the Brother Group
Adobe Reader® is required to view PDF format files. Please click here to download this software.
(This link goes to the Web site of Adobe Systems Incorporated.)